In 1832, the Reverend Dr. McVickar found a large group of “destitute” boys playing on Stanton Street. He asked them why they were not at church, and they replied that there was no church. He immediately started raising money to start one. He managed to find a place to worship in a tiny room over an engine house. The first assembly occurred on January 6th, 1833, on the Festival of the Epiphany, hence the church’s name.
Since then, it has had many homes throughout the city and merged with a few other congregations before finding its current location on 74th Street. The parish moved in 1944, over a hundred years after it was first formed. At the time, the “Far East Side” had no Episcopal churches, but Epiphany chose to move in order to meet the needs of the New York Hospital complex.
The post Church of the Epiphany Day School appeared first on Manhattan Sideways.